Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to prepare your children's costumes than to make them yourself!
It's easy to create a beautiful and unique Halloween costume with Hickey's Easy Sew Wooki Jedi Costume - complete with pants, bag & mask to complete the look. It's the perfect Halloween costume for any Star Wars fan, and is sure to turn heads this October.
How to make a Wooki Jedi Costume
You will need:
- 1.2 metres of Wooki Fur.
- 1.5 metres of Bonanza Leatherette.
- 1.5 metres of Leather Trim.
- Fabric Glue.
- Bag Hooks
- Square Foam Stickers
- 0.5 metres of Stick & Stick Velcro
For the Top:
- Cut 0.4m of fur and fold over the fabric.
- Cut a slight oval shape on the fold to make a neck hole.
- Fold the fabric right sides together and sew up the sides, leaving a space of approximately 6" to insert the arms.
- For the arms, make 2 tubes by cutting 0.3m of fur, folding the fabric, and cutting on the fold to make two pieces.
- Fold each piece length ways, right sides together, and sew up the long side to form the tubes.
- Shape the top of each tube into a slight curve to attach to the shoulder.
- With every piece inside out, attach the curved edge of each arm into the 6" spaces left in the top.
- Pin in place, and sew.
- Turn the top right side out, disregarding hems as the fur will hang down and disguise any raw edges.
For the Pants:
- Each pant leg is a straight tube, like the arms.
- Cut 0.4m of fur and cut in half on the hold to create two leg pieces.
- Fold over the fabric length ways and right sides together to create a tube.
- Shape the tube at the top to form the crotch by cutting out a reverse L shape.
- Sew up the long side of each tube.
- Sew the legs together at the crotch area.
- Cut the elastic in half and attach the 2 straps at the back of the trousers, then criss-crossing the elastic to resemble braces, and attaching the other 2 ends to the front of the pants. This means you won't require any buttons or zips.
For the Bag:
- Cut a long strip about 4" wide x 1.4m long of the leatherette.
- Sew or glue the length of the plaited trim down the centre of the leatherette strip.
- Stick on the square foam stickers along either side of the trim strip, spacing them 0.5" apart.
- Fold over the remaining leatherette and cut out an oval shape using a plate. This forms the bag.
- To attach the bag to the strap, sew bag hooks to each end of the strap.
- Sew the bag rings to either edge of the bag and click the hook and rings together.
- Decorate the bag with studs, leather straps, or a button.
For the Mask:
- Paint glue all over the mask.
- Use some of the left over fur to place over the mask.
- Once dry, cut out the eye and mouth holes, and glue a small triangle of leatherette to the nose.
- For the hood, cut out a piece of fur 0.25m wide x 0.4m long.
- Fold it over, with the right sides together and sew up along the long side, curving at the top.
- Cut off the excess around the curve to create a hood shape.
- To attach the hood to the mask, attach the stick & stick velcro along the outside of the mask, and stick the front of the hood to the velcro to create the full head of fur, tucking in the excess.
Create something truly unique this Halloween for a night of trick or treating that they'll never forget. Plus, when it's so easy to create a memorable costume, you can get the kids involved in making it too!
Get creative and try out the Easy Sew Witch's Dress & Hat Costume.