Waiting for Christmas to arrive can be tough. The anticipation of Santa's visit, family gatherings and the promise of presents can make the wait seem like an eternity! Follow our step by step guide on how to make this patchwork Advent Calendar and get the countdown under way in style!
How to make an Advent Calendar
You will need:
- 1.2 Metres of Christmas Cotton Plain Red (00362528)
- 0.6 Metres of Cotton Batting (00014229).
- 0.45 Metres of assorted Xmas Fabric.
- Scandi Snowmen (0036268).
- Xmas Snow Natural (00362665).
- Scandi Hearts Natural (00362375).
- Xmas Cotton Plain Ecru (00362504).
- Scandi Xmas Cotton Tree Red (00362672).
- Scandi Xmas Cotton Diamonds Red (00362337).
- 0.1 Metres red felt (00090667) and Bondaweb for the numbers.
- 2 x Cafe Rods 22" Wide.
- 2.25 Metres of ribbon/bias for sides and 1.5 metres for the hanger.
- Cut 22" wide x 41" long in the red fabric for the front piece.
- Cut 22" wide x 36" long in both the red fabric for the back and the batting as an insert .
- Cut 4.5" strips from contrasting fabrics for the calendar pockets. Sew a 1/2" hem along the strips and ten cut into 4" pockets.
- Print numbers from a computer and trace on to the Bondaweb. Iron the Bondaweb onto the felt and cut out the numbers. Iron the felt numbers onto the pockets and decorate as you wish. Alternatively you can use the Advent Calendar pre-cut felt numbers (C012907).
- Layer the back, the batting the front and pin, tack or sprat them together.
- Sew the pockets in place using the spacing on the pattern.
- Sew the ribbon or bias strips down the right and left sides.
- Sew 2" folds at the top and the bottom to the back using a 1/2" allowance.
- Slide the Cafe rods through the pockets and attach teh ribbon to the completed piece.