Halloween is just around the corner, and what better way to prepare your children's costumes than to make them yourself!
It's easy to create a beautiful and unique Halloween costume with Hickey's Easy Sew Witch's Dress - which goes perfectly with the Easy Sew Witch's Hat to complete the look.
How to make a Witch's Dress
You will need:
- 1 metre of 4 Differently Coloured Net.
- 0.75 metres of Elastic.
- 0.75 metres of Ribbon.
- Flowers to decorate.
- Tie the elastic around the back of a chair to keep it taut while you work.
- Cut all the netting into 3" strips.
- Fold each net strip in half to form a loop, and slip the loop under the elastic.
- Thread the ends of the strips through the loop over the elastic, pulling tight to secure. Attach all the strips of netting to the elastic in this manner, leaving 6 strips aside to use for the shoulder straps.
- Tie the elastic around the chest to determine the size required, and tie in a bow at the back.
- To make the shoulder straps, attach 3 strips to either side of the front of the dress by tacking on or tying them to the elastic.
- Drape the strips over the shoulders and attach them to the back on the dress. Trim off any excess netting.
- Finish the costume by decorating the top of the dress with flower corsages or other decorations.
How to make a Witch's Hat
You will need:
- Download the hat pattern here.
- Trace and cut out the pattern pieces so you have 2 brim pieces and 1 cone piece in felt, and 1 brim piece and 1 cone piece in the Halloween fabric.
- For the cone shape, place the Halloween fabric over the felt and tac in place.
- Fold over the fabric with the Halloween fabric inside and sew the cone pieces together down the side with a 1/4" seam. Turn right side out.
- For the brim, place the Halloween fabric over one brim piece and tac in place. This will be the top brim.
- Sew the top and bottom brim pieces together.
- With the Halloween fabric facing out, sew around the entire outer edge using a 1/8" seam.
- Place the cone piece inside the inner circle of the brim and pin the cone to the brim.
- Sew around the entire opening of the hat.
- Decorate the hat by wrapping the swansdown trim around the base of the cone where it meets the brim, and hand sew in to place.
Create something truly unique this Halloween for a night of trick or treating that you'll never forget. Plus, when it's so easy to create a memorable costume, you can get the kids involved and make creating this Witch's dress a family activity!